Experimenting with a new format this week, and comments now available below. Let me know what you think!
Work and Entrepreneurship
- A fundamental shift in my priorities, now focusing more on what’s next for “structured” work rather than entrepreneurship
- I will still pursue projects in my spare time and be open to more
- Continuing to listen through the archives of The Foundation Podcast , to my surprise I really enjoyed Julie Arora’s episode recently
- I’m using my “personal cards” where and when I can, fairly satisfied with the first run
- Began listening to Roger Dawson’s classic The Secrets of Power Negotiating on audio book (he reads it) – highly recommended!
- Still thinking about some projects, the restaurant careers database, clear ice products, and more
- Get in touch if you’re interested in collaborating
- Building-out my communications ecosystem (including this website!), and starting to set up a newsletter
- I have negotiated a long-overdue raise and some percentage-based additional income
- Working on some new marketing tactics and structure to try to raise revenue beyond past peaks
- Now finalizing a new benchmark for Terragen 4
- Testing new adaptive sampling and ray-traced preview changes
- Coordinating with new broker for Marin properties, pricing, strategy
- Reaching out to city of San Rafael for details as-needed
Life Design, Productivity, and Optimizing
Life Design (personal coaching)
- My coaching process seems to be transitioning into more immediate and task-based work, where previously it was more issue-based (e.g. procrastination)
- Continuing to develop heuristics and processes for managing and relating to projects and tasks, and ultimately completing them; the “procrastination heuristic” is particularly interesting in its effects
- I started using Notion at last, and I’m loving it! Just for recipes at the moment, but looking forward to more.
- I’ve begun reviewing old personal logs, beginning in 2011, and finding a lot of value in it
- Still using Otter.ai quite a lot and in some (but not all) cases it’s a notable improvement for me over a standard audio recording
- Continuing to feel limited by ToDoist, but finding it overwhelming to even test, much less switch to another system at the moment. Working on a plan for that.
Cocktailing, Photography, and Other Hobbies
- I recently had the inspiration to create a Holi (Indian festival) themed cocktail, with colored, edible powders over the top. Experiments so far are very promising!
- Trying Shaker and Spoon again, the Vermouth box I got most recently was actually rather good, perhaps because it departs from their typical formula
- Also waiting to source some ingredients so I can try a few recipes I recently ran across, one of which uses an exciting new acquisition: Feijoa brandy
- I started making kefir water from a SCOBY my aunt gave me. Not sure this fits exactly in cocktailing, but I hope to use them there, so close enough
Photography and Art
- I returned from the “super bloom” down in Southern California a little while ago, and now working on sorting and editing the ~500 photos I took
- Trying to put together a photo post summarizing all my birthday outings and whatnot, it was a packed month!
- I haven’t done anything serious with the tea art project for a while, but I did make a somewhat pretty impromptu tea imprint with my friend Sonia a few weeks ago
- Still trying to find time to dive into my sand sorting project!
- I’m super excited about my plant world! Top of my list is that my beautiful sundew is making numerous mini-sundews, so now I can give them away! 3x given to friends so far, and 3 of my family members wanted one too. ❤
- This past week I sprouted and planted a whole bunch of new things. Okra, carrots, lettuce leaf (giant!) basil, purple basil, green beans, and more
- We also released ladybugs into the garden to deal with a growing aphid problem
- Still waiting to plant my newly-acquired Hardy Kiwi (Issai), need to clear out an old vine first
- Since last update, I’ve written a couple of articles about Notion, how I found it, and how my journey with it is evolving
- I’m continuing to review things, this time Nexcare Waterproof Bandages (no really, they’re great!)
- Coming soon, a write-up on 3M Command wall hanging devices, plus a restaurant/bar review or two
Reading, Listening, and Watching
- I finally finished How Emotions Are Made and I can highly recommend it. The implications of even half of these ideas turn out to be true (many of which are already backed up by good science) could be astounding, especially in the long-term.
- I decided not to start Mycelium Running (yet), in favor of a perhaps more time-sensitive book (and I shudder at the title) How to be a Capitalist Without Any Capital. Despite the cringey name I like it so far.
- My mom also gave me a book of buddhist teachings, Your True Home: The Everyday Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh.
- It is entirely short, self-contained ideas, and makes perfect bathroom reading.
- I recently re-discovered Flock of Dimes, aka Jenn Wasner, founding member of Wye Oak. Check out Everything is Happening Today.
- As I mentioned above I’m also listening to “The Secrets of Power Negotiation” in audio book, and so far it’s very good
- Like every other person in the world I am watching GoT. I spent the last month or so catching up with a friend, but she’s on a trip now so I’m being a good friend and waiting for her return to watch Ep 1 of Season 8!
- I saw Captain Marvel, thought it was decent. More excited for End Game.
- Looking forward to seeing Missing Link even though its getting a lukewarm reception (there’s Terragen in it!)
Travel, Adventure, Fitness, and Health
Travel and Adventure
- I did a few great trips for my birthday in March, short and not-so-short (to Anza Borrego for the super bloom with my mom)
- April is mellow, focused on home and visiting and helping family in Fresno a few times
- Planning for upcoming trips to Utah’s Canyonlands, Yosemite, Yuba-area camping, and potentially Hawaii in early summer
Fitness and Health
- I finally started using a kettlebell. I bought it some years ago and it’s just 15lb, which feels too light (and that seems to match advice online), so I’m looking at something more like 15kg, i.e. ~35lb.
- Lifting a basic 20lb dumbell semi-regularly has given me noticeable bicep gains
- I feel like I’ve been slacking a bit in other areas though
- My intermittent fasting practice (nominally 5:2) is down to 1 day a week, if that, and though I’m not really gaining wait, I think I feel the effects
Personal and the Rest
- I had an amazing 40th birthday month in March
- My Grandpa, meanwhile, just turned 100! And still going strong.
- I began planning a project to document my family in stories, photographs, and the like. I want to capture my grandparents’ memories while I still can, but likewise for the rest of us too.
- I got a Nest thermostat and began using it. Oddly enough the original goal was to help me wake up in the morning, which it seems to be doing!
- I also got 3 Google Home Mini’s ($25/each!). So far a mixed bag, but overall I’m glad I have them.
- Finally, in an apparently big month of purchases, I got an “open box” Aeron chair. Mixed feelings so far.